We made the decision last fall to end our production of raspberries and cherries so that we would have time available to ensure that our apple production is sustainable for the long term. We have known for years that the amount of time we spent maintaining the raspberries meant that some time critical work on the apples did not get done. The raspberries were taking 40% of the total work effort but producing far less of the revenue, so we have taken out almost all our raspberries and cherries except for a small amount for family use.
We know this will disappoint many people, but we will still be able to welcome you and the many others who come for apples in the fall.
There are several options to find berries elsewhere:
- Dutton’s Farm Stand on RT 11&30 in Manchester will have already picked raspberries – also good strawberries picked and pick your own in June – plus lots of good fruit and vegetables all year.
- Wildwood Berry Farm next door at 2977 Mad Tom Rd will have blueberries later in July and early August.
- Merck Forest in Rupert has some pick your own raspberries which are a fairly long walk to reach plus many good family activities.
- Champlain Orchards in Shoreham is a large diversified fruit producer and has both raspberries and cherries.
- Wellwood Orchards in Springfield will have many kinds of berries
Make sure to check with any of these folks to be sure that they have berries available before you go.
We greatly appreciate the support for our berries you have given us over the years and will definitely miss seeing you in the summer, but look forward to seeing you in the fall for apples.
Tom & Sylvia